Monday 28 April 2008

a cold london night and a bruised ego


"Dei, can we go to the movie Yaaradi Nee Mohini?", I yelled at my room mates.....

It was already 5.30 on a saturday evening, so the only chance was to try the 9.45 show, and I was quite determined to go for the second show, which I usually do in India....

But my friends were worried if we could catch the last bus... but there is TFL.GOV.UK - the site for everything regarding transport in london.

Found that the last bus is at 12.30 and convinced them for the movie.I picked up my bicycle, took the hand pump and brought it to a condition that could withstand my ever increasing weight..

No - I was not planning to go to the theatre in my bicycle, I just wanted to go for a small ride...

I had planned to park it at my cousin's place, get his bus card and join my friends in the bus stop near East Ham station.

But that idiot had other ideas - did not attend my phone calls, and did not even respond to me pressing the calling bell.

I said to myself that may be he was not there. I had forgotten to wear gloves and it was a very cold night.. and it was already 9.00. My friends had started and it would take some 20 mts to go to the Ilford cineworld complex. A familiar thought struck me - why not try the bicycle all the way to the theatre...

Mind you - mine was a £325 bike (cycle) and parking it outside is considered unsafe...


Going back to my place, parking it, walking back to the bus stand and trying to catch the bus would be tough - since there is only a single route towards the theatre - the one by bus no. 147...


Called up my friends to let me know when they cross me, so that I could follow the bus to the theatre - I did not know the route to the theatre..

So there I was, waiting near the bus stop, without a pair of gloves - it was 5 degrees...

Cursing myself for not getting the gloves, I started after the bus.

But it seemed to be a blunder with every passing minute or rather second. It was bloody freezing and I had to try some old tricks with the handle bar. Tried riding with one hand, and the other inside my jacket pocket.

It was one hell of a ride and had to take turns with my hands. The slowly moving bus in the traffic didn't help either.
"appadi" - I exclaimed when I was in sight of the theatre complex. There was yet another problem - parking my bike.

Having one last look at my dear bike, I parked it outside a library near the complex. I was banking on my £50 locks to do the job for me. Had really a tough time chaining it, with both hands in nerve chilling pain.

Friends took a dig at me for taking the bike rather than the bus.... Thankfully after the movie - at 12.20, was happy to find my bike in its original place and thanked the crooks of my ill-famous area for working elsewhere that night......

I got the keys since I could reach home quicker than the guys....

Put on my helmet for which I had lot of like, turned on the front and rear headlights and was soon on my way.

I took a U at chapel street, moved quickly underneath the bridge of the A-road and within seconds was in Romford road.

Taking the 1st left turn and after a few rights and lefts was in little Ilford lane. Pushed harder to make my body get the warmth to manage the cold weather. Soon entered Church road, where the famous Murugan Temple of London is located.
With swift pedalling, reached the end of that road to reach Rosebury avenue. another 10 minute ride would take me to the warmth of my home , I thought.
Suddenly, some one appeared on my way when I took the right onto Rosebury Avenue. Another two appeared behind me, holding my bike.

The guy in front held the handle-bar and motioned me to get down. I stooped a bit, but did not get down.

The guys who had stopped me were teenagers, yet to earn the right to drive a car. One of them from behind, grasped my shoulder and made me to get down.

Unhurried, they asked for my Wallet, mobile and my jacket. An unknown feeling engulfed my stomach, and I thought may be I should have gone for some action flick.

But outnumbered, and wary of stories in local papers about knife-wielding teenaged guys, I silently killed any little thought of fighting back.

Took my wallet out - It did not contain too much money though. Had one last look at my Sony W810i, hardearned and bought in India, and all those mobile numbers...

I kept my jacket though - me being submisssive let them keep it with me in that cold weather.

One of them checked with me where I lived, and asked me to keep walking in that direction.
They quickly disappeared in the opposite way and there I was - out in the cold..

Slowly, I started walking towards Wakefield street with my hands in the jacket pocket and with a bruised ego.

4 comments:

அஷ்வின் நாரயணசாமி said...

this is nice journey. but finally you didn't tell what happen when you give your wallet etc.

Anonymous said...

i never have the habit of reading stories,just gave a try to read your blog when kavi told,it was really nice!!!!had an illusion that your bike was snatched..really nice anna

ramya

Subramanian said...

First story in blogspot I've read without curses, banality or, implausible action. Kudos Makesh!!

Vinoth said...

is this fictional or really happened ?