Monday 22 April 2013

Blank and the Castle



 Blank..  

Karthi used to say to me, “Blank da.”, whenever I ask him, “What are you thinking now?”. That comes with a price tag, sometimes stuck permanently on your face. So, when I saw him with the symbol of Christ on his forehead, it dawned on me in a few milliseconds on what could have happened. 

“So, what was it this time, when the blankness engulfed you?” He opened his mouth to say something and yawned instead. I began to reciprocate as he was stopping. He said, “Didn’t quite catch my eye, but does it matter?” and started walking away. 

I wanted to tease him about it and started to laugh out loudly behind him…. Then, it engulfed me. Everything around me screeched to a halt and the time started to move slowly. I felt as if I was watching the ground from an airplane several thousand feet up. A frozen vision of a spinning top just when it was about to fall down, did come to my mind. 

            When I was eleven, we got our own place with a backyard. The first spring, I started following my Grandmother around in burying up plant seeds, offering to dig the holes. She had this belief that if kids plant the seeds, they will definitely sprout. It was Mango first, then Bitter and Bottle gourds and then Beans and my favourite sweet tamarind. It was always planted in the evening. Every following morning, for the next few days, I would run to the backyard to see the first signs of the sprouted plant over the surface. I always wanted to witness it pushing through the covered up and moist soil and show its tiny green bits. I was never lucky, but would still love to try my luck again.

            Slow moving time or slow the moving time? You might get hit by a bolt of eyelids, a flying saucepan or you may crash against the wall. But, when you are hit by the blank, you can move time faster – you could. Imagine being able to write with your left hand, the very next minute. No, it is about building your sand castle again the very next moment. Only that, this time, it would know to jump when the waves came.

No comments: