Saturday 18 April 2009

Rain

People crammed against me from all sides making me feel the discomfort yet again, the shelter was not big enough to protect that many. Loosened the tie as I moved to the edge of it, and let out a gasp of breath. Then the smell hit my nose, the smell of the soil as it is called, when it rains. It had taken so long for me to realize it, particularly after running straight to the bus-stop shelter once the first few drops fell on me. The rain does not seem to be relenting and it was an unwanted guest.
The flower-woman was under a makeshift shelter – a big plastic cover for the top-half of her body – and another one for her flowers. She did not mind the rain that much. People were still trying to squeeze underneath the shelter. Some cursed the water stagnating in front of the bus stop.
Every now and then, when a bus came, the smart people who had come prepared with umbrellas, tried to use them just to cover the short distance to the bus. A passing auto would move at a snail’s pace when it crossed us, hoping to make a killing as it was getting dark faster than the manoeuvres that had made them famous. They need not require much persuading though, for it was one hell of a shower.
A wise- head near by complained to his friend, “Why should it rain here, causing all sorts of problems?. Why can’t there be rain where it is needed the most?”. His friend just nodded. Next to me, a very protective Mom chided her son. “Don’t you ever listen to me? You’ll get cold, fever and all sorts of infections. You’ll miss your school tomorrow. It’s already getting late for your tuition.”
The brave ones waded through knee high water, which was now semi-black with the drainage overflowing. Some showed their acrobatic skills as they precariously tried to walk on the footpath, trying as much as possible to avoid the drainage. They had a hard time though with all the shops having some sort of encroachment left.
Wait a minute, look at this boy. He has a slipper in each palm of his, bare-foot, plastic sheet to cover both his head and his mighty school bag. Just about enough. He looked up at the sky to feel the rain drops on his face. The Mom nearby was cursing this boy’s parents openly.
As I continued to look at him, I felt a pleasant feeling flooding through me slowly. The bloody neurons had taken a life-time to bring back those thoughts. I guess they were digging deep all this time to come up with this tiny bit of information. As their network became stronger and stronger, a thought occurred in my mind. “I love Rain or rather I used to love rain”.
My smile was getting wider and wider. I decided to bring back the old times. I took a step out and as I was about to make my second, my mobile howled.
“My great makers didn’t make me to be let by an idiot like you to die in the rain. “ I considered it for a moment. “Yes. You didn’t come for free, but for 13k”.
My Red Tape shoe squealed next. Confused, I stepped back. I had real second thoughts on stepping back and decided to take control.
Took a few deep breaths, feeling assured, I stepped out and yelled “Auto”.

4 comments:

அஷ்வின் நாரயணசாமி said...

Keep on writing, Frist story all the best for the future stories,

can you write in tamil also

Unknown said...

hey how about adding some humor!!rest is best.

Storm Searcher said...

Took a few deep breaths, feeling assured, I stepped out and yelled “Auto”. - lolz,
expected end but still was exciting..

Anand said...

Is it true it happened to you?