Tuesday 6 January 2009

Reminiscing Margazhi




The tamil month of Margazhi made me go full circle to about 15 years back.
My Mom is extremely pious and has been a regular to temples in the mornings during this month. She's been doing this for as long as I can remember. Somehow I picked up her habit and started to go along with her. I kinda liked the early morning air and it was usually a herculean task on her part to get me out of my early morning dreams by 4.30.
During the quarter hour long journey to the first of the temples I'd be half sleeping as I walk.
It is always very cold during that time of the year at my town. But the moment you enter the temple you'll feel the tranquility that is quite unmatched unless there are not religious songs playing in the speakers.
I did not notice then that I was the only 10 year old hanging around. The second temple that we usually go is bit bigger than the others and is much quieter. This was my routine for a few years during these months until I finally gave in to the sleep gods as I grew up.
I did not go another temple until about 5 years back when I had go along with a good friend of mine to the Thirupathi temple.
The chap had been having tough times in his view, as he had flunked a couple of papers in the last semester. I did not think it was that bad since I had a couple of other friends who were cooling their heels over fifteen.
But he had promised to donate his hair just in case the lord stepped in and was elated when he cleared them all next time around. So, we went to this famous temple and if I had any thought of tranquility after all those years, it all got evapourated in that human mass and all that pushing and prodding.
Not to make my day any better, I ended up donating my hair, even if it was not much, just to give company to my dear buddy.
That brought an almighty end to my future visits for quite some time.
Sunrises have been elusive to me for years if not months and can only reminisce of the good old days.

3 comments:

Prawintulsi said...

//Not to make my day any better, I ended up donating my hair, even if it was not much,//

Wonderful Sense of Humor and self-parody. Very rare nature of very good writers..

keep Writing...

Unknown said...

ur way of writing is suberb pls continue...

Makesh Kumar said...

@Ravi,
I'll try to use what you've mentioned the next time I write.